Tuesday, May 12, 2009

It Would Crush Me...

Written on the memorial plaque for Samuel Dyer in Macau is a quote of his: "If I thought anything could prevent my dying for China, the thought would crush me."

Wow.

Above Mr. Dyer's quote on the plaque is Revelation 12:11 which says: They did not love their lives so much as to shrink from death.

Those quotes seem so different than what I am used to in America. Here seeking to preserve one's life for his or her own sake has become the norm!

Seriously, when was the last time that you felt so strongly about the Gospel that the thought of you not being able to give up your life for its sake sounded miserable? But isn't that the call of Jesus to all of his disciples?

Then he (Jesus) called the crowd to him along with his disciples and said: "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me and for the gospel will save it. What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, yet forfeit his soul? Mark 8:34-36

May you seek the things that bring you life this week, whatever it may be.

No comments: