Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Press On!

Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path...

We are now just about two weeks into the new year, and this is the time where people begin to waver on their commitments to their new year's resolutions. But hopefully this is not so with our commitment to read the Bible through in a year.

One Bible reading plan I saw was for the Bible to be read in three years. The reasoning was that reading about three chapters a day is unrealistic and going through the Bible a chapter or so a day was much more realistic.

On average, I take about 15 minutes to read through my daily assignment. 15 minutes! Isn't it a sad time when people aren't expected to devote even 15 minutes a day to reading God's word? I speak for myself as well, as I know that reading through the Bible in a year is not easy.

Interestingly enough, the other day I actually read farther than I was supposed to because I was getting into the story of Jacob in Genesis!
If you are experiencing difficulty keeping up with the daily readings, hang on! God's word is not just for show, but he uttered them with a specific purpose.

Isaiah 55:10-11
10 As the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and do not return to it without watering the earth and making it bud and flourish, so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater, 11 so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.

No comments: